When it comes to home renovations and construction projects, it`s important to follow the necessary legal procedures. One of these procedures is obtaining a party wall agreement if the work will affect a shared wall between two properties. However, what happens if your neighbour starts work without obtaining this agreement?

Firstly, it`s important to understand what a party wall agreement is. It`s a legal document that outlines the rights and responsibilities of both parties when work is carried out on a shared wall. The agreement should be in place before any work begins, and both parties should sign it.

If your neighbour has started work without obtaining a party wall agreement, this can cause issues for both parties. This is because the work may cause damage to your property, which you would be entitled to claim compensation for. Additionally, you may also be entitled to compensation for any inconvenience caused if the work disrupts your everyday life.

However, it`s important to note that you cannot simply demand that your neighbour stop work immediately. You should first try to speak to your neighbour and ask them to obtain the necessary party wall agreement. If they refuse to do so, you may need to seek legal advice.

It`s also worth noting that your neighbour may not be aware of their legal obligations when it comes to a party wall agreement. It`s important to approach the situation calmly and explain the process to them. In some cases, it may be possible to come to an agreement between yourselves without the need for legal action.

In conclusion, if your neighbour has started work without obtaining a party wall agreement, it`s important to take action. Speaking to your neighbour and explaining the legal requirements is the first step. If this does not resolve the issue, seeking legal advice may be necessary to protect your property and your rights. It`s always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to legal procedures, so don`t hesitate to take action if necessary.